Why iTunes is Bad and How My Husband Turned Back Time

We "rented" the latest James Bond, Skyfall, from iTunes Friday night. It started "downloading" (so last decade) and we watched something else for a few minutes, then it seemed done, so BAH clicked on "play". It played for two minutes, and then froze. The little icon said it had six hours to download. Six hours? What is this, 1998?

We were fine with watching it the next night, but here's the kicker: It also said that, once you started playing it, you had 24 hours to watch it. So, the situation was this: BAH paid them $5 to rent a moving picture that would be ready to watch at 2AM Sunday morning, and we had to watch it before 8PM Sunday, or we just lost our $5. But, we have a person in the house who cannot be awake when we watch James Bond motion pictures, as she would be terribly disturbed by the content, but she goes to bed at 8PM, when the motion picture was set to expire. So.

I pretty much figured: You win some. You lose some. We lost $5. Worse things have happened. And, that's the last time I rent from iTunes.

But wait! There's more!

I went to bed early. Fell asleep. Little Z got up in the middle of the night to pee for the first time ever! Yay! I ran into her in the hall. Went back to sleep. Woke up in the morning, and BAH says, "I fixed it so we can watch James Bond tonight."

The first thing that went through my head was that scene from the Superman motion picture, after Lois Lane dies, and Superman makes the world spin in the opposite direction so that time moves backwards and Lois Lane comes back to life!


"How did you do it?" I asked him. "Did you turn back time?"

"Yeah, actually, I kind of did." You see! He has super powers! "I mean, I waited for it to download, and then I disconnected the internet and reset the computer's clock back. All we have to do is stay off of the internet all day, and we can watch it tonight!"

And it worked. We watched Skyfall. It was everything a James Bond motion picture should be.

But was it worth all of the trouble? Totally. For me, at least. Now I know my baby can turn back time!




No comments:

Post a Comment