Big Z

Little Z prefers to be called Big Z now that she has reached the sagacious age of seven years. 
It's difficult to draw people who never sit still. She almost sits still when she's writing emails or playing video games. 

I think I might draw or write something every day of 2015. Wonder if I can. 

2014 has been the most creative year of my life. It seems to keep the despair at bay. I recommend making art. It's a good hobby. It works for me, at least. It's like meditating, only easier and with the same benefits afterward. Although I have no idea if it's the same for others. When I meditate, though, my thoughts go like,

....

....

....

"Oh, hey, I wasn't thinking there! Oh, dam, thinking about not thinking is a thought... Wonder how long I wasn't thinking for? Doh! That was a thought. Don't think. Don't think..., what time is it? @&$@ I'm the worst meditator ever!"

And when I'm drawing or painting, my thoughts go like, 


....

...


....

"Red there."


....

....

.....

.....

"Perspective off."

....


.....



"Better now."


"Blue..."

........

.....

....


....

.....

....

.....

"@$&&ing pen's out of ink..."


....

....


So, in summary, drawing is more meditative than meditating, for me, and I also sometimes have something worth saving in the end. So I think I'm going to make it a goal to do it a lot. 

How about you? 




5 comments:

  1. I think you meditate very well. I sometimes sit and stare at nothing, not quite focused on it and my thoughts just start to go blank. Sort of like being asleep with my eyes open. It usually takes some outside stimuli to snap me out of it, but it can be like a mini vacation. At least I keep breathing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you meditate well, too. That sounds nice. There's an expression in Swedish, "Jag var inte riktig hemma," which basically means you were spacing out, but the literal translation is, "I was not really home." Your mini-vacation reminds me of that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Swimming has become my meditation. I haven't the ability to completely clear my mind of thought, but it tends to be nothing but numbers while I'm swimming. Out of the pool, crochet is the only thing that comes close.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dad- I figured!

    Gina- That's so cool that you can actually get some exercise at the same time. There's something mesmerizing about water, isn't there? When I taught autistic kids, they were great in the water. It was like everything just melted away.

    ReplyDelete