Sam Cooke's not so "Wonderful World"

Many of the places where I shop regularly have this song playing more than often, Sam Cooke's "Wonderful World". On the surface, it seems pleasant enough, nice melody, but the lyrics have always bothered me. Am I just a complete snob? I think that you should really learn something in high school.

Look at these lyrics [with my usual thought process upon hearing it in parenthesis]:

"Don't know much about history [Okay, a lot of people have trouble with dates and such.]
Don't know much biology [Hm... yeah, well, a lot of people also have trouble with biology.]
Don't know much about a science book [Okay, do you mean the construction of the text, or the actual content therein?]
Don't know much about the french I took [You definitely didn't have Madame Stillman, did you, Buddy?]

But I do know that I love you [Well... I guess if you're really sweet and have some other attributes...]
And I know that if you love me too
What a wonderful world this would be

Don't know much about geography [No geography, either? But I love to travel! How will you know where to go?]
Don't know much trigonometry
Don't know much about algebra [No mind for math, either? Can you count money? Some things are important.]
Don't know what a slide rule is for [What are you, some kind of moron?]

But I do know that one and one is two [Oh, now you're Einstein, eh?]
And if this one could be with you
What a wonderful world this would be

Now I don't claim to be an "A" student [I should hope not!]
But I'm trying to be
So maybe by being an "A" student baby
I can win your love for me [Only if the "A"'s are representative of actual learning and intelligence.]

Don't know much about history [Yeah, you told me that.]
Don't know much biology [You're just completely governed by hormones!]
Don't know much about a science book [What's the point of being a teacher?]
Don't know much about the french I took [Well, I would really like a man to remember SOMETHING, ANYTHING!]

But I do know that I love you [Truthfully, you would never love me. I read books and stuff.]
And I know that if you love me too [This would never happen.]
What a wonderful world this would be

La ta ta ta ta ta ta
(History)
Ooh ooh ooh ooh ooh ooh
(Biology)
La ta ta ta ta ta ta
(Science book)
Ooh ooh ooh ooh ooh ooh
(French I took)

But I do know that I love you [Doesn't this song ever end?]
And I know that if you love me too [This must be a song with really low royalties. Why do they always play it here?]
What a wonderful world this would be [Thank God, it's over!]

2 comments:

  1. I learned it from the Herman's Hermits record oh so long ago. I always hear it my head with an English accent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pathetic, isn't it. Not every woman is looking for a Homer Simpson.

    ReplyDelete