Music Monday: Mike Watt


I just discovered Mike Watt last week, because I listened to this interview with him and I thought he had a really interesting perspective on life and on music. He said, among other things, that punk music is not a style of music, but rather a way of looking at things. And then the attitude comes through the music in different forms- I'm paraphrasing. (If punk is really an attitude, I hereby declare myself a punk writer.) I really like his sound. I gather from the interview that he's played with the Stooges and was formerly in the Minute Men, and now has recently written three rock operas. This clip is from one of the rock operas.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my God, I had to stop listening to that interview after the taint abcess story. It was just hard for me to listen to him. I felt like he was a dim bulb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But I do agree that punk is a state of mind. I think the Violent Femmes are one of the punkest bands I know, and they were all acoustic. So there's that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He's definitely done a lot of drugs, and it has effected him.

    ReplyDelete