The Eyes of the Sun

I promised readers a few weeks ago that I would review Christina McMullan's The Eyes of the Sun.
I finished it, a few days ago. I realized several things about The Eyes of the Sun:

1. It didn't suck. (Phew!)
2. I was really annoyed when I had to stop reading it while I was in Colorado (because my computer stopped working).
3 I read the whole thing in tiny print on my computer, because I didn't know how to make it big.
4. I didn't want to look at Facebook while I was reading it, even though it was on my Facebook computer and I'm a little ashamed to say I'm totally addicted to Facebook.
5. While I thought I didn't like the romance part, I totally liked the romance part. Especially the ending.

So, basically, it was a pain in the butt to read it on my computer, but totally worth doing.

The Eyes of the Sun
is a fictional account of an agency that kills evil vampires who are trying to rule the world. (I thought I would include the word "fictional" in case, you know, you thought it was real.) Full disclosure: vampire novels are not my thing, but I still enjoyed this book. The vampires in it are not exactly "normal" vampires. McMullen adds some modern twists to the old vampire mythology.

The main character is named Lucy. Lucy is a strong woman who is hesitant to use violence to solve problems, although she's good at it. Lucy (unwillingly) joins a secret agency to destroy vampires and quickly show that she is (reluctantly) more effective than anyone else there. There are two offices to the agency: one in New Orleans, and one in Paris, France. The setting may seem like a cliche, but I think it works, since many of the other cliches about vampires are absent from this story.

The problem with France (and I mean real life France, because fiction is where I learn my facts about the world), is that the evil vampires basically control the government there, but in secret. They look really pale, too, and dress in all black sometimes, which totally explains all of those people in Paris!

The story in many ways follows Jospeh Campbell's Hero's Journey motif, with the unwitting hero who finds herself in an entirely new world, where supernatural powers are the norm, and she discovers she is more of a person than she formerly believed herself to be.

I really enjoyed The Eyes of the Sun, and I am looking forward to reading the sequel, Bluebeard's Children, and the the prequel, Dissonant.







1 comment:

  1. Wow, thank you! I really appreciate this. Especially knowing you endured tiny print on your computer. I'm glad you liked it, even the romance. I don't like writing romance. Now off to read all of your blog posts that I missed while working! :)

    ReplyDelete