In the Wee Hours of the Morning

I was laying in bed this morning, sleeping, when Little Z barged into the bedroom. I pretended to still be asleep. She stood next to the bed and pulled my hair until she had my attention.

Me: "Is this an emergency? Go away!"

Z: "I have to ask you a question."

Me: "What?"

She held up something that looked in the dim morning light like a rotten tangerine.

Z: "Can I feed this from the refrigerator to my bunnies?"

Me: "Sure."

Z: "Okay!"

She ran out of the room. I realized belatedly that it was probably a brussel sprout, not a rotten tangerine.

A few minutes later, accordion music drifted into my dreams.

*****

This afternoon, I asked her,

"Did you feed your bunnies brussel sprouts and then play them the accordion, early this morning?"

"Yeah... What's so funny about that?"

I couldn't explain.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know why I find it so funny that you were okay with feeding the bunnies a rotten tangerine.

    ReplyDelete