I read once in Runner's World that, to motivate yourself to run up a large hill, it's best to run up it backwards. That way, you only see what you have accomplished already, and are undaunted by the climb to come. I tried this once and I ran into a tree. Nevertheless, I think the theory behind it is sound.
In that spirit, I will now write my New Year's Resolutions for 2009. That's right: 2009. I already wrote them last year and broke them, but now I'm going to re-write them and only write resolutions that I have already kept. Here they are:
1. Lose twelve pounds and gain three back.
3. Sort of almost potty train a child through constant positive reinforcement. I can't say when one might say, "She's potty trained," but my gut feeling is she's just really really close. Today, there are two spots drying on the rug and four stars on the calendar.
4. Oversee the conversion of a pretty nice farmhouse into an excellently eco-friendly farmhouse.
5. Keep it together 99% of the time.
6. Do the first ten lessons of "Coffee Break Spanish"!
7. Do an ethereal recording of my favorite Uncle Dennis/ Aunt Lou song: "Blue Baret".
8. Write a few awful songs of my own.
9. Entertain a one-year-old all the way to South Carolina and back, in a car.
9. Learn the chords of A, D, E, G, Em, C, F, and Dm on the guitar.
10. Give blood three times.
11. Keep a blog!
That's about the most of it. Of course, number five covers a lot. I encourage you all to do this! It's quite satisfying. See you next year, as they say.
-Your Mindless Minion