An Entry Not for Vegetarians

So, we did plan on eating some of the chickens- especially the roosters, since they don't lay eggs. We kept humming and hawing over which one to slaughter for the first time. We were only going to slaughter one, to figure it all out. Yesterday, one of the chickens- a female- seemed to have a broken leg. We talked it over and decided to do it tonight. One of them being hurt decided for us which one to go.

So, the plan was this: BAH would kill the chicken, then run away and cry while I cleaned it. As it happened, there was no crying involved. Without going into gory details, I can say that we clearly didn't know what we were doing, but that chicken still had a much better life and death with us than it ever could have had on a factory farm.

So, there you have it. It's in the fridge- tomorrow's dinner. It looks much fresher than anything you would get at a grocery store, of course.

The whole thing wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I always felt before that I shouldn't eat anything unless I could kill it myself, and though BAH did the deed, I think I could.

I was going to post a picture of it ready to cook, but I didn't want to offend any vegetarian readers.

I feel like such a farm lady, having butchered a chicken outside and now it's setting in my refrigerator. How strange it all is. A thirteen year old version of me would be so repulsed!

4 comments:

  1. Just so you know, this is the first entry that I've read in my return to the world of blogs. Don't worry, I'm not offended. Grossed out, but not offended :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This seriously blows my mind since up until after your Mexico trip I thought you were vegan. I thought you ate all that stuff because you didn't have a choice.

    You should ask my brother Jacob the chef for advice on killing chickens. He's done it with the direction of his boss and thier farmer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up on a farm where my dad and brothers made an annual ritual of butchering the chickens.
    At the time it was a great event! We all looked forward to the bouncing beheaded bodies.

    But now that I've grown up, I can't stomach it.
    I bow to you for muscling through it. You have my admiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christina: I'm so flattered you visited me first!

    Meg: I just like vegan food, but I'm not a vegan. My favorite cookbook is, "Vegan with a Vengeance". My second favorite is, "Simply Vegan". I have been a vegetarian for several years of my life, off and on since I was thirteen. I think we're okay, as far as advice goes about the chickens, but thanks. We'll keep Jacob in mind. I can Facebook you, right?

    Roses: "We all looked forward to the bouncing beheaded bodies." is a pretty twisted sentence! ;) I wonder if Little Z will say that, someday... and thanks for the admiration, BTW. I'll take that wherever I can get it!

    ReplyDelete