Spring Chickens, 2 Weeks Old

The baby chicks from two weeks ago got to move out of their
little box and into the big pen. They are just the cutest darn things ever. I was watching them get ready for bed. It was like second graders at a slumber party. Everyone had to lay in just the right spot. They went to bed one at a time, finding a nice spot under the heat lamp. They all snuggled up close to one another and settled down, but then the next one would snuggle in and upset the whole bunch. They would all get settled again. Then another would come and lay down, making them all move over just a little bit. Finally, the last one came along, number fourteen. A big little chick! And he walked right over everyone and took a spot right in the middle! Everyone popped up again, WHAT WHAT WHAT? TWEET TWEET? And all over again, everyone had to find a spot, and settle down. Once they were sawing logs, I got up to go, moving the chair a little and waking them all back up again!

4 comments:

  1. this made me laugh! I can just imagine them all settling and then shifting and resettling - hah! I've always wanted chicks - one of my earliest memories is baby chicks in a box, little fluffs of yellow, I wasn't quite 2 years old - but the husband went vegan last summer and having chickens are frowned upon in our neighborhood so I'll just have to live vicariously

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad someone is living vicariously through me! I like talk and write about chickens. I'm always afraid I'm boring people. Vegan is difficult! I've tried it, but I was too hungry all of the time. I think they should allow chickens in all neighborhoods. !Viva los pollos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband is wanting us to get some chickens. I doubt my stories will be as cute as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it when you write "my husband". You've adjusted so quickly to married life, it seems! I'm sure your chickens will be every bit as great as mine.

    ReplyDelete